I’m Lala Jackson, and I’m a chronic health author, speaker, and advocate. I’m a staunch and vocal advocate for health justice and intelligent approaches to health care policy and delivery, particularly as it concerns people living with chronic illness, and I love writing and speaking about all of the amazing things that bond the chronic illness community – we are powerful humans who have had to learn how to gracefully carry more than most, become our own advocates, be strong leaders for ourselves and others, and gain our own individual superpowers.
When I was 10, I was diagnosed with the autoimmune disease type 1 diabetes. I immediately jumped into advocacy and have met with numerous representatives and senators to speak on behalf of the rights of people living with chronic disease. I earned a B.S. in Communications from The University of Miami in Florida then went on to study federal healthcare policy and management at Georgia State University. Complementary to my own work, I work for a major type 1 diabetes advocacy and research non-profit headquartered in New York City.
In addition to articles found on this site, my first book – the internationally best-selling Beyond Powerful: Your Chronic Illness is Not Your Kryptonite – delves into the superpowers gained from a life with chronic illness. I am also a contributing writer over on The Mighty, and I’ve been featured on I Told You I Was Sick, KNQR and Lyfebulb.
Outside of writing, I love to speak on issues around chronic illness, mental health (particularly amidst stress and life challenges), access to healthcare, and more. I love speaking at high school and college campuses, as well as girl’s and women’s programs. Check out this special edition of The Eye of Rah Show where we talk about mental health and self-care or this edition of Change: Redefining Success where we talk about my type 1 diabetes diagnosis story, and I go on a little rant about healthcare policy in the US.
If you have any questions or would like to book me as a speaker, interview me, feature me on your platform, or request a written guest piece or review, email email@example.com.
Photography of Lala Jackson on this site is by John Arthur Photography.
Chronic Illness & Spoonie Stuff
- When my doctors don’t listen to my pain | September 1, 2017
- Sick doesn’t equal weak. | July 17, 2017
- What my fibromyalgia feels like. | June 28, 2017
- I am never naked. | June 5, 2017
- Angry & Sad: Because yes, they can coexist. | April 23, 2017
- That tricky little bastard, serotonin. | April 21, 2017
- Being chronically ill but wanting to make a difference: the balance | April 13, 2017
- I’ve been depressed since I was 12. | March 8, 2017
- What it’s like to watch people die from your disease | February 25, 2017
- Being chronically ill in the age of resistance | January 29, 2017
- 13 months without health insurance: a pre-existing condition nightmare | January 13, 2017
- Does my disease make me a burden? | January 9, 2017
- 19 years (with type 1 diabetes) | November 27, 2016
- I hide my sickness from myself | October 8, 2016
- Are you an overachieving spoonie? | June 6, 2016
- Have no idea what I’m talking about when I say ‘spoonie’? | June 6, 2016
Sex & Relationships
- Let’s talk about birth control. | June 12, 2017
- We create these broken families | May 8, 2017
- On heartbreak | February 11, 2017
- It’s just sex | January 16, 2017
- Listen to your gut | January 4, 2017
- Fathers be good to your daughters | October 24, 2016
- In which I shrink myself | October 17, 2016
Social Commentary & Essays
- I watched the bullshit documentary What The Health so you don’t have to. | July 16, 2017
- My justice is more important than yours.| May 10, 2017
- Quit your bullshit around money. | April 28, 2017
- On the shitshow that is police and mental health issues | December 28, 2016
- On abuse, and why this election is several kicks in the gut | November 12, 2016
- Don’t talk about us without us | October 3, 2016
General Life Updates
- Quick update before launch day (video) | September 18, 2017
- What’s your superpower? Join the Beyond Powerful book launch team | July 18, 2017
- One year in NYC: On getting kicked in the back in Times Square and the beautiful conundrum that is this city | April 26, 2017
- Only love is real | February 14, 2017
- 2017: Voice | December 5, 2016
- On being an empath | October 12, 2016
- Published author, day 3 | September 3, 2016
- My book is here! | September 1, 2016
- Eastern vs. Western medicine | August 14, 2016
- This is me not writing my book | June 25, 2016